Mazda is a famous brand for its innovative technology and excellent cars. However, a problem with its signature paints really hurt its reputation.
So, how common is the Mazda paint chip problem?
Mazda paint chipping is a very common issue faced by Mazda owners worldwide. Their trademark colors “Soul Red Crystal” and “Soul Red Metallic” became infamous for being too weak and easily getting chipped under extreme heat. The owners became reluctant to buy from the brand because of this. However, in 2019 onwards, they took steps to solve this problem and improved their paints.
A complete analysis of the Mazda paint chip problem with solution and maintenance is coming up in the next sections.
Does All Mazda Paint Chip?
No, not every Mazda car is vulnerable to paint chips. In fact, not every Mazda paint is too. Only Mazda’s signature “Soul Red Crystal” and “Soul Red Metallic” paint from the 2017-2018 models seems to have been affected by the problem. Other colors like the “Jet Black Mica” may also be prone to chipping.
Especially, among all the car models, the Mazda CX-5 paint chips are rather common than the other models. The Mazda 6 paint chip and Mazda 3 paint chip issues are also prevalent. As for makes, 2018 Mazda paint chips are more in number than in other years.
From 2020, the complaints have significantly decreased as Mazda took steps to improve its signature red paint. But people who still buy the 2017-2018 models suffer from this problem.
Common Paint Chips Locations:
Usually, due to Mazda’s paint defect, you will find the paint chips on the front hood. Also, the sides and the rear are at risk too because of rocks and pebbles on the road. However, the front bumper is not safe from paint chipping as well.
Because of accidents and reckless driving, front bumper paint chips are also very common.
Why Does Mazda Paint Chip Easily?
The signature Mazda “Soul Red Crystal” and “Soul Red Metallic” paint is made in such a way that makes the paint thinner than the conventional ones. Because of this, the thin paint cannot hold itself against the sunlight and the harsh UV rays. This causes the paint to chip off rather easily.
Apart from this, environmental pollution also takes its toll on the paint, making it more vulnerable to chipping.
How Much Does it Cost to Repaint Mazda Paint Chip?
To repaint Mazda red paint it will cost you at least $500-$600. The cost is too high compared to regular car paint because Mazda’s red paints are uniquely made.
According to the automotive giant itself, “Its unique three-layer paint process uses the changing light to create a sense of movement, even at standstill.”
Moreover, this unique shade of red is difficult to match and hard to find in your local repair shops.
The paint chipping in your Mazda car is also very frequent, so repairing the chipped-off paint every time can be very expensive.
On top of that, the location of the paint chip also contributes to the repair cost. Like, a 2016 Mazda CX-5 front bumper chipping paint may need you to replace the whole bumper. A replacement usually costs around a thousand dollars, so be careful of paint chipping.
That’s why you better prevent this issue from happening. Applying Rvinyl 3M Pro Shield Paint Protection Film for Mazda CX-5 2016 – Bumper will set you for years.
Does Mazda Warranty Cover Paint Chips?
Yes, the Mazda paint chip warranty is provided by the company. Mazda provides a three-year warranty for the paintwork, regardless of mileage. So, if you are having frequent paint chipping issues, you can contact your dealer to avail of your warranty.
However, the warranty will only be offered to you if the chipping happened because of the manufacturer’s defect. So, for example, if someone backed into your Mazda RX-8 paint chipping, you won’t get the warranty benefits. In that case, you’ll need to repaint the scratched or chipped area at your own cost.
How to Repair Mazda Paint Chip?
To repair your Mazda paint chips, you can use touch-up paint pens. These pens are highly effective at covering paint chips that are low in number. But matching the exact shade can be difficult. This might make you worry about the fact that, does Mazda sell touch-up paint?
Yes, Mazda sells touch-up paints in different colors like blue reflex, deep crystal blue, snowflake white pearl including their signature “Soul Red”. So that its customers can repair paint chips easily. You can find these touch-up paints on the official Mazda outlets or from your dealer. If you’re lucky, you may find these Mazda touch-up paints on Amazon.
Also, the “Snowflake White Touch-up Kit” is specifically designed for the Mazda Snowflake White CX-5 paint chip.
Using the official product is always better as they provide the perfect shade that matches the original paint. Using other brands may get the job done but it will not match the exact shade, only come close to it.
Moreover, Dr.ColorChip is a very popular touch-up paint pen that Mazda owners typically use to repair their cars.
But if the paint chips are high in number and big in size you may have to repaint the affected section or the whole car.
Also, there are PPF applied aftermarket front bumpers available in the market.
Complete Mazda Paint Chip Repair Process:
With touch-up paint pens, you can repair small chips yourself, which saves you a lot of hassle and money. Here is the complete Mazda paint chip repair process-
Mazda touch-up paint pen, rubbing alcohol, and a microfiber cloth
- Clean the area around the chip with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Make sure the area is completely dry before proceeding.
- Shake the touch-up paint pen for at least one minute to ensure the paint is well-mixed.
- With a steady hand, apply a small amount of paint to the chip using the touch-up pen. Avoid applying too much paint as this can result in a bump or uneven finish.
- Allow the paint to dry for at least 10 minutes before applying a second coat. Repeat the process of applying a small amount of paint and allowing it to dry.
- Once you have applied the final coat of paint, allow it to dry completely for at least 24 hours.
- After the paint has dried completely, use a rubbing compound to buff the area. This will help to smooth out any bumps and create a uniform finish.
- Finally, apply a layer of wax over the repaired area to protect it and give it a polished finish.
- Make sure to get the exact paint code, using the color code. The Mazda paint code location is usually the driver-side door jam for most of its models. The color code “Soul Red Crystal” and “Soul Red Metallic” is 46V.
- Be careful not to apply too much paint, as this can result in a raised or uneven finish.
- If you make a mistake, use rubbing alcohol to remove the paint before it dries completely.
- Work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling paint fumes.
- Wear protective gloves and clothing to avoid getting paint on your skin or clothes.
- Avoid exposing the repaired area to extreme temperatures, water, or chemicals for at least 24 hours after the final coat of paint has dried.
That’s it! Your Mazda paint chip should now be repaired and look as good as new.
How to Protect Your Mazda Car Paint?
To protect your Mazda paint from chipping you can use PPF or paint protection film over the paint. PPF is a highly effective way to protect a car’s paint from various types of damage, including chipping.
The film acts as a barrier between the paint and the outside world, absorbing the impact of minor scratches, chips, and other hazards. It also helps to prevent the buildup of dirt, grime, and other contaminants that can damage a car’s paint over time.
PPF is particularly useful for vehicles that are more susceptible to scratches and chips. It can significantly extend the life of a car’s paint and help to maintain its appearance for many years to come.
However, applying PPF to your car can be quite expensive. Good for you there are some cheaper options that can also do a good job. Various sealants and ceramic coatings will be very well up for the job. Zurich Paint Shield is one of these sealants that is recommended by Mazda owners.
Remember to avoid using Luxcare, which may not be worth the money it costs.
Only using the PPF is not enough to protect your car paint. You need to do proper maintenance to extend its longevity. Here are some maintenance tips you can follow-
- Regular washing: Washing your car every two weeks can help to remove dirt, grime, and other contaminants that can damage the paint over time. Use a soft, non-abrasive sponge or cloth and mild car shampoo to wash the car.
- Waxing: Applying a coat of wax can help to protect the paint from UV rays, pollutants, and other environmental factors. I’ve listed down some of the best car waxes of 2023 here.
|Product Name||Wax Type||Price|
|Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax||Liquid||Check Price on Amazon|
|Collinite No. 845||Liquid||Check Price on Amazon|
|P21S Carnauba Wax||Paste||Check Price on Amazon|
|CSI Q-7 Wax||Spray||Check Price on Amazon|
Also, there are some special products that you can use after waxing to protect the shine.
- Avoid parking under direct sunlight: If possible, park your car in a shaded area or a covered garage to protect the paint from the damaging effects of direct sunlight.
- Avoid automatic car washes: Automated car washes can cause small scratches and swirl marks on the paint. Instead, consider using a touchless car wash or washing the car yourself.
For sensitive car paints like the Mazda “Soul Red”, we recommend washing your car yourself. Not being careful enough while washing the car may cause damage to the paint, ultimately chipping it.
There are several degreasers that are suitable for the job, like the Simple Green and the Zep degreasers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Is a paint chip a big deal?
Yes, a paint chip is a big deal, even smaller ones. Paint chips expose the metal of your car’s body, which is susceptible to rust. If you do not take prompt action to resolve the chip, your car’s body will start to rust and will cost a lot of money in repairs.
What size paint chips can be repaired?
It’s possible to repair chips that are as big as 1/4th of a dime. You can use touch-up paint pens to repair the paint chips easily.
What is Mazda famous for?
Mazda is a Japanese automaker that is known for its innovative and stylish cars, as well as its commitment to producing vehicles that are fun to drive. The company is also known for its Skyactiv engine technology, which aims to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency.
Mazda paint chips can be an eyesore and potentially lead to further damage if left unaddressed. However, repairing a paint chip with touch-up paint pens is a relatively easy and affordable solution that can help restore your car’s appearance and prevent further damage.
Until next time!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.